Pine Hills Fortnightly Club, INC. Records, 1898-2003
- Pine Hills Fortnightly Club, INC.
- The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded by Miss Mary M. Shaw in 1898 as a woman's literary and social club. According to the Club's earliest Constitution, "Its object shall be the study of history, literature and art and the literary and social entertainment of its members."
- 2.5 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club, INC. Records, 1998. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the The Pinehills Fortnightly Club).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to these records is unrestricted.
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
- Scope and Content:
The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club Records, circa 1898-2001 (with gaps) include constitutions and by-laws, literary and social events programs and yearbooks, meeting minutes, attendance records, financial data, correspondence, letters of recommendation for candidates' membership, and newspaper clippings about members and other literary clubs that document the membership, history and the primary reasons for the Club's existence. Series 5 includes an account by Club members of their meeting with United Nations General Assembly President Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit of India.
The papers presented by Club members constitute half of the collection. The earliest paper in the collection is dated 1911. Many, but not all, papers listed with no date and no authors may be early presentations because these documents are handwritten with fountain pens. No papers exist in the collection from the 1920's or the 1960's.
- Biographical / Historical:
The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded by Miss Mary M. Shaw in 1898 as a woman's literary and social club. According to the Club's earliest Constitution, "Its object shall be the study of history, literature and art and the literary and social entertainment of its members."The Club was "federated" in 1900.Virtually from the Club's inception, meetings have been held on alternate Monday afternoons, from October 1st through April 30th.In the later Constitutions, the meeting schedule changed to " . . . the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month from October to April inclusive, except the second meeting in December shall be omitted."Originally the membership was limited to twenty with dues of $ .50 annually. By 1901, they allowed the membership to reach fifty. Currently the annual dues are $25.00 and, during the last five years, active membership has averaged twenty.
An Executive Committee of the officers governs the Pine Hills Fortnightly Club: a president, two vice-presidents, recording secretary, corresponding secretary, treasurer, and the Program Committee Chairman. The other standing committees (auditing, membership, house, publicity, telephone, social, yearbook) have a chairman and the Club's president as anex officiomember. In later years, a librarian and historian were added, but there is no current record of those officers. Members are for the most part college-educated, well-read, active and engaged in various professions as is evident from the credentials cited in recommendation-for-membership letters and from the scope and content of the members' papers delivered at meetings.
According to the earliest Constitution, "At the end of each meeting not more than twenty minutes shall be devoted to business"; later the Constitution raised the time limit but did not exceed thirty minutes.The Club devoted the remaining meeting time, an estimated hour to an hour and a half, to the presentation of a member's paper followed by a discussion among the membership.
The literary focus of the Club's twice-a-month meetings is the presentation of papers. These scholarly papers center on a theme decided upon by the Program Committee as a year-long exploration of a particular topic. Using the available research tools a college-graduate would have at its disposal at the time, members focused on topics such as geographic locations, concepts relating to American historical development, works of fine art of particular periods or artists, and authors and their works. The collection exhibits well-researched papers addressing not only the topics but their possible social and historical ramifications; the presentation of these papers served as a form of continuing education for the membership.
The second part of the Pine Hills Fortnightly Club's constitutional objective is the "...social entertainment of its members." The Club's formal social functions consist of a Spring Luncheon held in May (the end to the Club's administrative year), and a Christmas party held during most years. The Spring Luncheon Programs have included the presentation of the theme for the following year's papers, the presentation of new officers, and the singing of the club song. The luncheon often features a guest speaker or a vocalist. The Christmas party, when held, was often the occasion for a choral reading by members or the singing of Christmas songs.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this manuscript group were donated to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, by the Albany County Planning Department on 24 February 1989. The items that were transferred were duplicates from the planning department; otherwise, photocopies were made by the archives.
The records were received from Eleanor Lattimer, President of the Pine Hills Fortnightly Club, Inc. The initial deposit of records was received by the University Libraries.
- Processing information:
Processed in 1998 by Rita Mignacca.