President's Special Committee to Review the Undergraduate Experience Records, 1974-12-1977-09
- State University of New York at Albany. Special Committee to Review the Undergraduate Experience
- Contains documents related to the Special Committee tasked with revising undergraduate curriculum during the 1976-1977 academic year.
- 0.97 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, President's Special Committee to Review the Undergraduate Experience Records 1974-1977. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Undergraduate Experience Committee Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collection and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
The contents of this collection relate to the review of the university's review of the undergaduate curriculum with material from 1974 through 1977. Contents include: Correspondence between committee members and curriculum creators at other colleges, committee meeting minutes and related meeting memoranda, news clippings related to the topic of undergraduate experience, student surveys and correspondence between the committee and specific departments on the topic of course distribution.
- Biographical / Historical:
The President's Special Committee to Review the Undergraduate Experience (SCRUE) was created with the intention of reforming the university's undergraduate curriculum by defining undergraduate degrees and creating more structured programs of study. The Committee's ultimate proposal would be based heavily upon a similar program being implemented at Middlebury College of Vermont at the same time. Recommendations would include the reimplementation of general education requirements outside of the student's degree program and an increased emphasis on writing assignments through the university. The committee's report was presented in 1977 May.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2018 by Miles Lawlor.