Financial Secretary Records, 1844-1965
- State College for Teachers (Albany, N.Y.)
- This collection consists primarily of the records of the Treasurer for the State College for Teachers. Also included are some financial records from earlier iterations of the College (New York State Normal School and New York State Normal College) and records of the Financial Secretary, which succeeded the position of Treasurer. Materials include cash books, budget documents, and correspondence.
- 15.2 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Financial Secretary Records, 1844-1965. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Financial Secretary Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is restricted because it is unprocessed. Portions of the collection may contain recent administrative records and/or personally identifiable information. Please contact an archivist for more information.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
This collection includes: cash books and ledgers; correspondence with State agencies; budget planning documentation; payroll information; Special Fund receipts and disbursements; scholarship data and related correspondence; and other finance-related reports and correspondence. Information pertains to both the New York State College for Teachers and the Milne school that was overseen by the college.The bulk of these materials were created by Clarence Deyo during his term as Secretary-Treasurer from 1917 until 1945.
- Biographical / Historical:
The first Financial Secretary for the New York State College for Teachers, Clarence Joseph Deyo, was hired in 1917 and served until approximately 1945. His position title soon changed to "Secretary-Treasurer" but "Financial Secretary" was adopted by his successors in the 1940s through 1960s: Ainard Gelbond and Benjamin Comi. This position transitioned to the Director of Business Affairs, which itself eventually came under the umbrella of the Vice President for Management and Planning as the organization of the University became more complex. The Financial Secretary (or Secretary-Treasurer) was responsible for all aspects of the College's finances: receipts and disbursements, tuition, and payroll.
- Acquisition information:
Items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.Undated
- Processing information:
Processed in 2017 by Ben Covell.