Office of Graduate Education Records, 1931-2017
- State University of New York at Albany. Office of Graduate Education
- This collection contains inactive records from the Office of Graduate Education (previously called the Office of Graduate Studies), which is responsible for the administration of graduate programs at the University.
- 10.42 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Office of Graduate Education Records, 1931-2017. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Office of Graduate Education Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
This collection contains adminstrative records created by the Office of Graduate Education (formerly, the Office of Graduate Studies). Types of materials include: internal memoranda, external correspondence, reports, policy documents, and meeting minutes. The primary topics addressed in this collection are: registration and review of graduate programs, enrollment policies, policies for graduate student assistants, Master's and Doctoral dissertation and thesis policies, hiring for administrative positions, and administration of academic departments.
- Biographical / Historical:
The Office of Graduate Education has its origins circa 1952, with the appointment of Edgar Flinton as the first Director of Graduate Studies. In the 1960s, the position was retitled "Dean of Graduate Studies." Beginning in 1971, the office was combined with the Office for Research, and was administered by a group of Assistant Deans overseen by the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies. These offices were separated in the late 1990s.
As of 2017, the Office of Graduate Education is headed by the Vice Provost and Dean for Graduate Studies and operates within the Office of the Provost (Academic Affairs).
- Acquisition information:
A portion of this collection was donated by Bob McFarland in 1997.
The remainder of the collection was accessioned from a records storage room maintained by the Office of the Provost.2016
- Processing information:
Processed in 2017 by Benjamin Covell.
- Graduate teaching assistants
Universities and colleges--Graduate work.
Universities and colleges--Accreditation.
UAlbany Academic Administration
- State University of New York at Albany
State University of New York at Albany. Office of Graduate Education