Department Of Computer Science Records, 1973-1986
- Department Of Computer Science, 1973-1986
- The collection includes memoranda, 1973; reports, 1983; internal evaluations of the M.S. degree in computer science; and publications.
- 1.0 cubic ft. and Web Archives Digital Files
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Deparment of Computer Science, 1973-1986. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Department of Computer Science).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The Department of Special Collections and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
The collection includes memoranda, 1973; reports, 1983; internal evaluations of the M.S. degree in computer science; and publications from the University at Albany, Department of Computer Science.
- Biographical / Historical:
The first course in computer science, "Introductory to Computer Science," was offered in the fall of 1966 by Edwin Reilly, the head of the Computing Center. Until the fall of 1980 computer science courses were taken as electives or second field of study. During 1979-80 the University Senate approved a major in Computer Science, and a second major in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. Both majors were first offered in the Undergraduate Bulletin 1980-81.
A graduate degree in Computer Science, the Masters of Computer Science, was first announced July 1968. The Ph.D. in Computer Science was approved by the University Senate during 1979-80, and first appeared in the Graduate Bulletin, 1982-84.
Initially part of the Division of Science and Mathematics of the College of Arts and Sciences, Computer Science became part of the College of Science and Mathematics in 1977 and remained part of that College until 1993. Computer Science became part of the revived College of Arts and Sciences in 1993. In 2005 Computer Science was merged into the newly created College of Computing and Information.
1966-1973 Edwin D. Reilly, Jr., Chair 1973-1975 Samuel Lomonaco, Chair 1975-1978 Dean Arden, Chair 1978-1983 Dean Arden, Chair 1983-1989 Richard Stearns, Chair 1989-1991 Dean Arden, Chair 1991-1994 Peter Bloniar, Chair 1994-1999 Daniel Rosenkrantz, Chair 1999- Neil Murray, Chair
1. Undergraduate Bulletin, 1966-67, 126. 2. Undergraduate Bulletin, 1979-80, 85. 3. University Senate Legislation 1979-80, 23. 4. University Senate Legislation 1979-80, 07. 5. Undergraduate Bulletin, 1980-81, 86. 6. Graduate Bulletin, 1969-70, 81. 7. University Senate Legislation 197980-18; Graduate Bulletin, 1982-84, 50. 8. Dates for chairman/chairs taken from Bulletins and University Directories.
- Acquisition information:
These records were deposited in the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2006 May 8 by unprocessed.