Gamma Kappa Phi Sorority Records, 1920-1971
- Gamma Kappa Phi
- The Gamma Kappa Phi Sorority Records contain documents related to the history, activities and alumnae of the Gamma Kappa Phi Sorority at the University at Albany.
- 0.6 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, Gamma Kappa Phi Sorority Records, 1920-1971. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Gamma Kappa Phi Sorority Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
- Scope and Content:
This collection consists of seven bound volumes. The first five are administrative records while the latter two are scrapbooks.
The administrative books include the recording secretary's book, which has a history of Gamma Kappa Phi from its formation until 1951, and meeting minutes from 1920-1939. There is another record book with meeting minutes and attendance lists, dating from 1963-1967. Two alumnae books include lists of Gamma Kappa Phi alumnae and records of payment of alumnae dues; they are dated 1920-1946 and 1956-1957. Finally there is a treasury record book, which includes a ledger of sorority funds, budgets, and some receipts, from 1948-1955.
The scrapbooks date to 1970-1971 and have pictures of the sorority's activities from that year.
- Biographical / Historical:
In 1913, fifteen female students at what was then the New York State Normal College (now the University at Albany) formed a club they called Theta Rho. The students, who roomed together at 186 Western Avenue in Albany, drafted a constitution and held regular meetings. New members were brought into the club each year.
In the 1917-1918 school year, the organization re-wrote its constitution and renamed itself Gamma Kappa Phi. Members rented their own house at 36 Nineteenth Street (currently Winthrop Avenue) and held a formal initiation for the first time. In 1919 Gamma Kappa Phi petitioned to become an official sorority of the New York State College for Teachers (the school's name in that time period). The petition was granted in April 1920, and Gamma Kappa Phi was admitted to the Intersorority Council.
Over the ensuing decades, the sorority lived at a number of locations in downtown Albany until, in the 1960s, its members along with the other Greek organizations at the University were moved into the dormitories on the Uptown Campus. Gamma Kappa Phi is no longer an active sorority at the University at Albany. The organization closed in the 1970s, like many other local sororities, because of dwindling membership.
- Acquisition information:
With the exception of the 1970s scrapbooks, the collection was donated in 2010 by John Schneider, Class of 1965.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2013 by Kimberly Gianfrancesco.