Kappa Beta Fraternity Records, 1937-2007
- Kappa Beta Fraternity (State University of New York at Albany)
- An artificial collection of memorabilia and paper records concerning the Kappa Beta Fraternity. Originally a Jewish fraternity, it became non-denominational in 1948.
- 1.5 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Kappa Beta Fraternity Records, 1937-2007. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Kappa Beta Fraternity Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The Department of Special Collections and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
An artificial collection of memorabilia and paper records including two histories of the fraternity (one by a founder, Nahum Lewis 38, and a second by Arnold Newman 56), drinking mugs, membership lists, newsletters, photographs, and reunion programs. Included in the records are photos, programs and memorabilia from reunions from 1946 through 2007.
- Biographical / Historical:
The fraternity was created in the academic year 1936-37 to provide an atmosphere where Jewish students at the then New York State College for Teachers could socialize and enjoy Kosher meals. Kappa Beta was deactivated during WW II when most of its members were drafted or volunteered for the service. It was reestablished in 1946 and its newly elected president, Paul Wagner 48, pushed through an amendment to its constitution making KB non-sectarian. The fraternity continued to exist at the State University of New York at Albany until 1974 and alumni directories list one member as a graduate of the Class of 1980. Alumni of the fraternity held reunions until at least 2007.
- Acquisition information:
The items in this manuscript group were donated to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, by Nahum Lewis 38, Rita Greenwald, Stephen Greenwald 40, Robert (Bob) Barron 52, Arnold Newman 56,57, Philip T. Coccia 66, Michael Bloom 67 and Michelle Miller.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2012 by Geoff Williams and Katie Demetri.