SUNYA Women's Club Records, 1951-1992
- State University of New York at Albany. SUNYA Womens Club.
- Records of the social and community activities performed a social group of faculty wives and other women that perfomed university and community service.
- 2.0 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, SUNYA Women's Club Records, 1951-1992. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the SUNYA Women's Club Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The Department of Special Collections and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
The files contain bylaws, committee reports, correspondence, membership directories and lists, newsletters, publicity releases relating to the club's social and community activities. The files detail the club's community activities which included sponsoring foreign students, bloodmobiles, giving university tours, and providing volunteers for university activities. Social and fund-raising activities included fashion shows and teas. The files are arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically there under by title.
The scrapbooks contain letters, membership directories, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and photographs kept by the SUNYA Women's Club. The earlier scrapbooks (especially the first one, 1953-1969) consist mainly of newspaper clippings with some letters and photographs. The last two scrapbooks contain photographs of the social functions. The scrapbooks are arranged in chronological order.
- Biographical / Historical:
The SUNYA Women's Club was founded in 1951 by Virginia Collins as the Faculty Wives Club of the New York State College for Teachers. The club's purpose was to encourage the wives of faculty members to become acquainted. The club's name went through a number of minor changes. It was offically named the Faculty Wives Club of SUNY at Albany from 1959 through 1979 (commonly known as the SUNY Faculty Wives Club). In 1980 the club adopted the current name, the SUNYA Women's Club. Prominent club activities included sponsoring foreign/international students and helping them adjust to life in this country, organizing bloodmobiles, giving university tours, and providing volunteers for university activities. Social and fund-raising activities included running fashion shows and teas. The club also founded and ran a nursery (1951-66) in Brubacher and Sayles Halls open during club meetings. The club is now divided into ten geographical areas. Each of these areas has its own activities which aim at fostering closer ties between members of the university community. Current activities of the club include running a scholarship fund for one U.S. student per year, holding orientation for new faculty and spouses, raising funds for the Ann Lee Home by hosting a yearly fashion show, running bloodmobiles for the Red Cross, and maintaining a list of volunteers willing to work during university activities.
- Acquisition information:
These records were transferred to the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany,by SUNYA Women's Club and its predecessors.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2015 by Geoffrey A. Huth .