New York State Normal School Student Portraits Collection, 1874-1889
- State Normal School (Albany, N.Y.) and State Normal School (Albany, N. Y.) - Students
- This collection sholds several photo albums of students and faculty that were created by members of the State Normal School.
- .9 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, The State Normal School Photo Albums, 1874-1889. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the State Normal School Photo Albums).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites. Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
This collection holds three photo albums complete with photos an dnotes from faculty and students, as well as a selection of loose cabinet cards of students from the class of 1889. The 1874 book was made from photos collected by Mina Williams, a former student, who presented it to the school on its 100th birthday. The 1885 book was created by the aunt of a student and presented to her on her graduation day. The 1888 album was created by staff of the school for a departing professor.
- Biographical / Historical:
During the time of the State Normal School's existence it was customary to create scrap books filled with photographs for departing faculty and students. Typically a photogrpah of the student or faculty member would be provided along with a note on the back intended for the recipient of the book. This collection holdsd a few examples of these early versions of the college yearbook that exist today.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
- Processing information:
Collection was processed in 2017 by Erik Stolarski