Start Over You searched for: Subject Neighborhood and Community Associations Remove constraint Subject: Neighborhood and Community Associations

Search Constraints

Search Results

New York State Modern Political Archive: apap137

Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) Of Albany, New York Records, 1863-1996

20.21 cubic ft.
The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap292

Women's Building Collection, 1954-2000, bulk 1973-1998

20.3 cubic ft.
The Women's Building collection records the formation and day-to-day administrative and programming activities of the Women's Building and its predecessor, the Tri-City Women's Center. The organization provided a safe space for community groups to meet and organize, and informational and educational programming to support the women of the Capital District. Inspired by a feminist perspective and driven by a commitment to social justice, the Women's Building provided physical meeting and office space to local organizations and programming and informational services on financial planning, legal issues, parenthood, childbirth, and women's health. The collection includes administrative records and programming material from the organization's inception in the early 1970s until 2000.
Business, Literary, and Local History Manuscripts: mss139
online content

Woman's Club of Albany Records, 1908, 1910-2010

23.64 cubic ft.
The Woman's Club of Albany Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap008

Urban League of Northeastern New York Records, 1966-1987

8.5 cubic ft.
Since its establishment in 1966 as the Urban League of the Albany N.Y. Area, the Urban League of Northeastern New York has campaigned for voter registration, housing, education, social services and other issues of concern to African Americans and others in the New York State Capital District.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap118

United Tenants of Albany, 1972-2001

3.12 cubic ft.
The United Tenants of Albany is an association dedicated to improving housing situations for Albany's low to moderate income families and businesses with safe, affordable living and working space.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap198
online content

The New York State Tenants & Neighbors Coalition Records, 1970-2002, bulk 1970-2002

29.9 cubic ft.
Tenants and Neighbors is a statewide coalition of New York's tenants and tenant associations that fight for tenants' rights and affordable housing for all people. The origins of Tenants and Neighbors dates to a meeting of tenant and housing activists from across the state in August 1972 at St. Rose College in Albany, N.Y. By December 1974, a formal organization was developed by housing and tenant activists across the state that drew up by-laws and created the original name as the New York Tenants Coalition. The first statewide membership meeting was held in February 1975. In 1995, the organization changed its name to New York State Tenants and Neighbors. The collection includes: minutes, annual reports, newsletter and other publications, legislative and organizational memoranda, press releases, clippings, video and press coverage.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap081

The Brothers Records, 1966-1999

2.1 cubic ft.
The Brothers was a civil rights group that was active in Albany, New York for several years beginning in 1966.
New York State Modern Political Archive: apap177
online content

Social Justice Center Records, 1981-2001

4.3 cubic ft.
The Center was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York.