Young Women's Christian Association (Albany, N.Y.)
20.21 cubic ft.
The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.
Women's Building (Albany, N.Y.)
20.3 cubic ft.
The Women’s Building collection records the formation and day-to-day administrative and programming activities of the Women’s Building and its predecessor, the Tri-City Women’s Center. The organization provided a safe space for community groups to meet and organize, and informational and educational programming to support the women of the Capital District. Inspired by a feminist perspective and driven by a commitment to social justice, the Women’s Building provided physical meeting and office space to local organizations and programming and informational services on financial planning, legal issues, parenthood, childbirth, and women’s health. The collection includes administrative records and programming material from the organization’s inception in the early 1970s until 2000.
0.50 cubic ft.
The Versatile Club Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
The Woman's Club of Albany (Albany, N.Y.)
23.64 cubic ft.
The Woman's Club of Albany Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
The League of Women Voters of Rensselaer County (Rensselaer County, N.Y.)
9.03 cubic ft.
The League of Women Voters of Rensselaer County Records documents the political and social activities of the chapter since its founding in 1939.
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Albany, NY
2.3 cubic ft.
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Albany, New York, (BPW) was founded in 1934 with 22 charter members as a chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of New York State, Inc. (founded in 1919) and a member of the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. The objectives of the club, according to its by-laws, were "To elevate the standards for women in business and in the professions; To promote the interests of business and professional women; To bring about a spirit of cooperation among business and professional women of the United States; [and] To extend opportunities to business and professional women through education along lines of industrial, scientific, and vocational activities."
State University of New York at Albany. School of Nursing
14.6 cubic ft.
The School of Nursing Records document the history and day-to-day operations of the School at the University at Albany since its first full year of operation in 1967 through its closing in 1979.
State University of New York at Albany. Office of Diversity and Inclusion
16.30 cubic ft.
Records of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and its predecessors. Materials include administrative correspondence, committee and task force meeting materials, planning documentation, and assorted reports, all relating to issues of diversity, inclusion, equal employment, and discrimination.
State University of New York at Albany. Commission For Affirmative Action
2 cubic ft.
Documents the University Commission for Affirmative Action, which "aimed to enhance the university's diversity among the student, staff, and faculty populations by developing structures and incentives that promoted gender, racial, ethnic,... equity among the university community".
State University of New York at Albany. Center for Women in Government
23 cubic ft.
The Center for Women in Government & Civil Society (CWGCS) was established in 1978 to elimination of sex discrimination in New York State government employment. The Center part of the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy and receives both public and private funding.
State University of New York at Albany. Center for Legislative Development
82 cubic ft.
Contains the inactive records of the Center for Legislative Development (formerly the Comparative Development Studies Center), which delivers training and technical assistance programs to strengthen governmental institutions around the world.
State University of New York at Albany
0.17 cubic ft.
Consists of cassette recordings and transcriptions of interviews documenting the creation of the Women's Studies Program at the then State University of New York at Albany in the 1970's. The interviews were conducted, with one exception, by Judith Hudson, retiring University Libraries bibliographer for Women's Studies.
Social Justice Center
4.3 cubic ft.
The Center was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York.
Republican Party (N.Y.). State Committee
5.39 cubic ft.
The New York Republican State Committee (NYRSC) is a representational legislative branch for the New York Republican Party which nominates Republican candidates for state and federal positions.
1 cubic ft.
The collection includes material collected by Peggy Rabkin much of which relates to discrimination. Included are pamphlets, news articles, magazines and other publications, correspondence, and other notes.
Quirini, Helen, 1920-2010
50.89 cubic ft.
This collection documents the life, work and activism of Helen Quirini of Schenectady, New York. The collection represents Quirini's numerous activities and interests including her early work owning a local market with her brother, her 39 year employment for General Electric, her activism in unions during her employment and retirement, as well as her charitable activities where she pursued civil, housing, pension, women's and senior citizen's rights.
4.18 cubic ft.
The Libby Post Papers contain political campaign documents, professional correspondences, news clippings, meeting minutes, agendas, document drafts, press releases, news letters, civil activism notes, and other materials that document her involvement securing various LGBT rights and with political organizations, as well as the general LGBT community in Albany, NY.
Pine Hills Fortnightly Club, INC.
2.5 cubic ft.
The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded by Miss Mary M. Shaw in 1898 as a woman's literary and social club. According to the Club's earliest Constitution, "Its object shall be the study of history, literature and art and the literary and social entertainment of its members."
Persico, Joseph E.
18.54 cubic ft.
The papers of Joseph Persico focus on his careers as a full-time author and as a political speechwriter for New York State Commissioner of Health, Hollis Ingraham, and New York State Governor, Nelson Rockefeller.
Page, Caroline Smith
0.17 cubic ft.
Autobiography and photos of Caroline Smith Page who was an early student at the New York State Normal School. She later taught in Troy, NY and Natchez, MS.