Waterbury Hall formally named for President Edward R. Waterbury, the first graduate of the New York State Normal School to serve as its president, 1882-89.
Search
Search Constraints
Start Over You searched for: Date 1960 to 1970 Remove constraint Date: <span class="from" data-blrl-begin="1960">1960</span> to <span class="to" data-blrl-end="1970">1970</span>Search Results
Co Ed Dining Hall Opened Between Alden And Waterbury Halls
1960 February 5
Co-ed dining hall opened between Alden and Waterbury Halls.
Ed.D. in School Administration authorized by Regents. First doctoral program authorized for the Campus.
1960 SUNY Master Plan places priority on masters programs at Albany.
Sayles Hall Converted From A Men’s To A Women’s Dorm
1960 September
-–Sayles Hall converted from a men’s to a women’s dorm. Check this!
Governor Rockefeller Approves The State University Of New York The Master Plan Revised 1960
1961 April 6
Governor Rockefeller approves the State University of New York The Master Plan Revised 1960, previously accept by the Regents on March 24,1961 with minor revisions and adopted formally by the Trustees of the State University of New York on February 16, 1961. This document (p. 49) called for the...
State University College At Albany
1961 October 13 - 1962 August
State University College of Education at Albany becomes the State University College at Albany by action of the Regents and the State University Board of Trustees. All of the State University Colleges of Education will have the name change and be allowed to admit students to a liberal arts...
Two New Annexes Opened
1961 September 22
Two new annexes opened. The Washington Avenue Annex opens in the former Temple of the Congregation Ohav Sholom. The Washington Avenue Annex contains four classrooms, two of which are large lecture halls. The Developmental Reading Office and the Curriculum Materials Library are also housed in the...
Change From Teachers' College To Liberal Arts College Approved
1961 September 29
Regents approve 11 state teacher's colleges becoming liberal arts colleges. First undergraduate upperclassmen & women admitted to the liberal arts program rather than teacher training program. Students can elect either a General Program or Teacher Education Program as their major. In 1962...
Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Decides To Situate New Uptown Campus On Albany Country Club
1960 December 16
Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller decides to situate new Uptown Campus on Albany Country Club.
Biology and General Science Departments move to Selfridge & Langford Warehouse at 97 Central Avenue.
Official Announcement That The Architect Of The New Campus Would Be Edward D. Stone
1961 September 30
Official announcement that the architect of the new campus would be Edward D. Stone.
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center Established
1961 February
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center established.
Dr. Alvin Bryan joined the Chemistry Department. Dr. Bryan is thought to be the first African-American faculty member.
First Mention Of The Penguin As The School Mascot Since 1949
1961 October 14
First mention of the Penguin as the school mascot since 1949. Myskania institutes tradition of the college mascot in penguin’s costume leading the Homecoming parade. The mascot was to be a senior male or female whose service and school spirit had been extemporary for four years and that they be “...
Graduate Programs Expanded
1962 Fall
Master's level degrees offered in Biology, Chemistry, English, French, History, Mathematics, Physics, Spanish, and Business.
Barbara Gladysiewicz, ‘61, becomes the school’s first Peace Corps volunteer.
College of Arts and Sciences created consisting of a Division of Humanities, Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Division of Mathematics and Science.
James A. Warden Scholarship Fund established in honor of James A. Warden, Class of 1951. Initially a $200.00 scholarship, the award was given to a student in financial need of high academic achievement and noteworthy accomplishments in extra-curricular activities. The award was administered...
B.A. for non-teaching candidates approved.?????check above Ph.D. in English authorized by Regents. First former teachers college in NY (?) to receive authorization for liberal arts doctoral program. First students admitted Sept. 1962.