Waterbury Hall formally named for President Edward R. Waterbury, the first graduate of the New York State Normal School to serve as its president, 1882-89.
Search
Search Constraints
Start Over You searched for: Date 1960 to 1970 Remove constraint Date: <span class="from" data-blrl-begin="1960">1960</span> to <span class="to" data-blrl-end="1970">1970</span>Search Results
Co Ed Dining Hall Opened Between Alden And Waterbury Halls
1960 February 5
Co-ed dining hall opened between Alden and Waterbury Halls.
Ed.D. in School Administration authorized by Regents. First doctoral program authorized for the Campus.
1960 SUNY Master Plan places priority on masters programs at Albany.
Sayles Hall Converted From A Men’s To A Women’s Dorm
1960 September
-–Sayles Hall converted from a men’s to a women’s dorm. Check this!
Governor Rockefeller Approves The State University Of New York The Master Plan Revised 1960
1961 April 6
Governor Rockefeller approves the State University of New York The Master Plan Revised 1960, previously accept by the Regents on March 24,1961 with minor revisions and adopted formally by the Trustees of the State University of New York on February 16, 1961. This document (p. 49) called for the...
State University College At Albany
1961 October 13 - 1962 August
State University College of Education at Albany becomes the State University College at Albany by action of the Regents and the State University Board of Trustees. All of the State University Colleges of Education will have the name change and be allowed to admit students to a liberal arts...
Two New Annexes Opened
1961 September 22
Two new annexes opened. The Washington Avenue Annex opens in the former Temple of the Congregation Ohav Sholom. The Washington Avenue Annex contains four classrooms, two of which are large lecture halls. The Developmental Reading Office and the Curriculum Materials Library are also housed in the...
Change From Teachers' College To Liberal Arts College Approved
1961 September 29
Regents approve 11 state teacher's colleges becoming liberal arts colleges. First undergraduate upperclassmen & women admitted to the liberal arts program rather than teacher training program. Students can elect either a General Program or Teacher Education Program as their major. In 1962...
Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Decides To Situate New Uptown Campus On Albany Country Club
1960 December 16
Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller decides to situate new Uptown Campus on Albany Country Club.
Biology and General Science Departments move to Selfridge & Langford Warehouse at 97 Central Avenue.
Official Announcement That The Architect Of The New Campus Would Be Edward D. Stone
1961 September 30
Official announcement that the architect of the new campus would be Edward D. Stone.
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center Established
1961 February
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center established.
Dr. Alvin Bryan joined the Chemistry Department. Dr. Bryan is thought to be the first African-American faculty member.
First Mention Of The Penguin As The School Mascot Since 1949
1961 October 14
First mention of the Penguin as the school mascot since 1949. Myskania institutes tradition of the college mascot in penguin’s costume leading the Homecoming parade. The mascot was to be a senior male or female whose service and school spirit had been extemporary for four years and that they be “...
Graduate Programs Expanded
1962 Fall
Master's level degrees offered in Biology, Chemistry, English, French, History, Mathematics, Physics, Spanish, and Business.
Barbara Gladysiewicz, ‘61, becomes the school’s first Peace Corps volunteer.
College of Arts and Sciences created consisting of a Division of Humanities, Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Division of Mathematics and Science.
James A. Warden Scholarship Fund established in honor of James A. Warden, Class of 1951. Initially a $200.00 scholarship, the award was given to a student in financial need of high academic achievement and noteworthy accomplishments in extra-curricular activities. The award was administered...
B.A. for non-teaching candidates approved.?????check above Ph.D. in English authorized by Regents. First former teachers college in NY (?) to receive authorization for liberal arts doctoral program. First students admitted Sept. 1962.
Public Relations Department established at State College at Albany. Dr. Frank Carino heads the new department.
School Of Library Science Created
1962 University College created for undergraduate students. 62? or 63???
School of Library Science created.
School of Business created. (Ibid., p. 1) School of Education created. (Ibid.)
Student Senate appropriates $2,000.00 to fund the start-up of radio station WSCA which will broadcast as a closed circuit AM carrier current signal to dorms and reach 48% of students. Bill Alexander '65 is the first station manager, and Don Allen '63 is the Assistant Station Manager. Faculty...
This new doctoral program, among others, were formed as a result of the designation of the university as a State University Center in the 1960 State University Master Plan. This designation led to an increased focus on research and advanced studies programs.
Phi Delta Kappa is an international professional honor fraternity for men in education. The Epsilon Omicron Campus Chapter at the State University of New York at Albany was the first chapter to be formed at a State University of New York.
College Council Becomes University Council
1962 September
College Council becomes University Council. University admits first freshmen non-teacher preparatory students as candidates for B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences.
It was the first State University college to have a chapter.
Center for Inter-American Studies established. Discontinued in 1976-1977.
Groundbreaking for new $130,000,000 Uptown Campus. The Campus was designed by Edward Durell Stone.
First Doctorate Awarded
1963 June 19
First doctorate (an Ed.D.) awarded to James Arthur Conway of School of Education, SCT, BA ‘54.
Fencing Society Is Established At Sunya With Col. Walter M. Tisdale As The Society's Sponsor
1962 November 9
Fencing Society is established at SUNYA with Col. Walter M. Tisdale as the society's sponsor. Ed Reid is elected the first president.
Ph.D. In English Offered
1963 Fall
Ph.D. in English offered. The State University of New York at Albany was the State’s first former teachers college to receive permission from the Board of Regents to offer a liberal arts doctoral program.
School Of Social Welfare Approved
1963 Fall
School of Social Welfare approved (admits first students in 1965). University College for freshmen and sophomores headed by Clifton Thorne created.
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences founded and admits first students. Name later changed to Department of Atmospheric Sciences (1968). Awards first M.S. in 1967, first Ph.D. in 1970.
Counseling Service Open
1963 Fall
The service provided trained counselors to advise students on academic and personal problems. An occupational library was also provided.
Ed.D. in Developmental Reading offered. Ph.D. in American History offered.
New Programs Begun
1963 Fall
Programs begun in Atmospheric Sciences, Inter-American Studies, Philosophy, Russian, & Speech.
Ed.D. in Curriculum Supervision offered.
Dam At Campus Pond Breaks
1963 March 21
Dam at Campus Pond breaks, flooding businesses across Western Avenue. The $78,383 contract to rebuild the dam was awarded to Kilby Bros., Inc. of Albany and work was completed by December 15.
Bid Awarded To Construct Dutch Quad
1963 August 1
Construction bids on Dormitory I (Dutch Quad) received. The low bidder was Humphreys & Harding of NYC at $7,760,000. The winner of the Service Building contract was McManus, Longe & Brockwell.
-–First Joan D. Van Slyke Scholarship awarded for the “educational and living expenses of a worthy and capable young boy or girl who desires to become a teacher and for that purpose to study and be educated.” The intent was that the award would go to students who wanted to become a teacher but...
Albany Study Center for Learning Disabilities (Dept. of Educational Psychology, School of Education) affiliates with SUNYA. The Center, created in 1956 by the Department of Pediatrics of the Albany Medical Center, is now a joint project of the Department of Pediatrics of Albany Medical College of...
Knickerbocker News carries article and photo of the revised SUNYA seal created by Jack Kral of the SUNYA paint department. The seal carries and outer band with "State University of New York 1948," an inner and with the SUNY logo, "LET EACH BECOME ALL HE IS CAPABLE OF BEING" and the SUNY shield on...
Decision Announced That Greek Organizations Will Be Forced To Move From Their Houses To The New Campus
1963 May 22
Decision announced that Greek organizations will be forced to move from their houses to the new campus by the Fall of 1965 when first dorm ready. (Dean Ellen Stokes, “New Policy for Fraternities and Sororities,” Alumni Quarterly, Winter 1964, pp. 7-8) August--Report that the pilings for the high...
Camp Johnston, Women’s Athletic Association Cabin in Chatham, NY, probably sold at about this time.
Largest Freshman Class In the University's History
1963 September
Enrollment total is 3,858: 850 freshmen, 250 transfers, 797 Masters candidates, 19 PHD candidates.
Center for Executive Development established.
Students Move Into Dorms For First Time
1963 October 24
185 male students move into the first dormitories on the new campus into Van Rensselaer and Rykman Halls on Dutch Quadrangle. The men had previously been living in motels. The dorms contain four and five men suites each including three rooms and a bath. Two rooms are bedrooms and one is a study...