The research room is open by appointment only during normal business hours.
- We will attempt to digitize some materials on request and deliver them remotely based on demand and our limited capacity. A nominal fee may apply.
- If you would like to make a remote request, please browse or search our collections to select individual items.
- It is likely that we will be unable to digitize large volumes of material or fragile items that risk becoming damaged during scanning.
- Please contact us if you have trouble navigating our collections and selecting individual items.
Requesting an in-person appointment after November 30th
- November 30, 2020 - December 18th, 2020
- January 11th, 2021 -
It remains our highest priority to protect the health of our staff and research community, therefore, kindly review the following information in advance of your appointment.
- Our department is open for research by appointment only Monday-Friday from 9 am until 5 pm (the last available appointment time is 4 pm).
- Appointments must be requested at least 48 hours prior and by 4pm on Friday for the following Monday. Following your request, a staff member will contact you to confirm your appointment.
- We are only allowed to accommodate four researchers at one time. Therefore, as a courtesy to our staff and your fellow researchers, please notify us if your plans change and you are unable to keep your appointment.
Before you arrive
- Any visitor traveling from out-of-state or who is visiting Albany directly from another state must abide by current New York State traveler guidelines. Compliance is essential to visit any University at Albany campus.
- Researchers who are not members of the University at Albany community are considered visitors and must complete a health screening form and return it via email on the day of their visit. All responses must be negative in order to enter a campus building. Visitors also must abide by any "day of visit" rules indicated on the form.
- Everyone is required to wear face masks inside all buildings, as well as while outdoors whenever six feet of distance from others cannot be maintained.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Department of Special Collections & Archives.
- When you arrive to our department, the outer doors will be closed. Please telephone the number listed on the door and identify yourself as having an appointment that day, and a staff member will escort you into the Reading Room. See Hours & Directions for directions.
- Researchers may bring a laptop computer or tablet, spiral notebook, or loose-leaf paper and pencil into the Reading Room. Pens and markers are not allowed for note taking. Bags, backpacks, purses, and briefcases are not allowed in the Reading Room proper and should be stored in the lockers just inside the Reading Room entrance. Staff will direct you.
- Researchers are encouraged to bring a camera, digital camera, or cell phone to take an unlimited number of images of unrestricted collections free of charge. There is an accompanying form that must be completed. Staff will scan or photocopy up to 500 pages of unrestricted materials for 10 cents per page for in-person researchers.