Neighborhood and Community Associations
Collections listed by subject
Affordable Housing Partnership and Capital Affordable Housing Funding Corporation
The collection contains documentation of the Affordable Housing Partnership and Capital Affordable Housing Funding Corporation's adminstrative activities.
1.7 cubic ft. (about 1.7 boxes)
This collection documents the operations of the Bethlehem Business Women's Club from its inception in 1951.
2.45 cubic ft. (about 2.45 boxes)
This collection is about the Bethlehem Work on Waste (BWOW) and its opposition of the American Ref-Fuel/BFI incinerator from 1989 to 1995.
1.99 cubic ft. (about 1.99 boxes)
The Brothers was a civil rights group that was active in Albany, New York for several years beginning in 1966.
2.1 cubic ft. (about 2.1 boxes)
This collection contains administrative files, correspondence, newsletters, subject files and meeting minutes from the Capital Area Council of Churches, an organization designed to promote cooperation between different religious institutions in the Albany, N.Y. area.
9 cubic ft. (about 9 boxes)
Founded by a group of Albany area residents who organized to prevent the Springboks, the all-white South African national rugby team representing the apartheid South African government, from playing a game against the American all-star rugby team in Albany scheduled in 1981.
The Capital District Transgender Community Archive Collection contains material pertaining to local trangender history. This collections contains a large variety of publications about transgenderism.
3.37 cubic ft. (about 3.37 boxes)
Jeanne Casatelli is a native of East Greenbush, New York, who has fought sprawl in her hometown for more than twenty years.
2.6 cubic ft. (about 2.6 boxes)
Created in 1950 in part to study education in school districts. The Center's mission was to identify the research factors that aid in constructing and maintaining strong democratic communities and to promote such factors through education.
14.2 cubic ft. (about 14.2 boxes)
The collection documents the City Club of Albany and primarily contains organizational records from 1957-1959, mainly concerned with issues of the Citizen's Platform. The collection is composed chiefly of files retained by Harriet D. Adams as vice president of the club when it was particularly interested in urban planning.
0.3 cubic ft. (about 0.3 boxes)
This collection contains materials from the City of Newburgh Engineering Department and the Newburgh Urban Renewal Agency, documenting the City's redevelopment efforts in the mid-late 20th century.
99.5 cubic ft. (about 99.5 boxes)
Concerned Citizens Against Crossgates (CCAC) was organized as an informal group opposed to the construction of the Pyramid Crossgates mall in the summer of 1979.
5.05 cubic ft. (about 5.05 boxes)
Materials relating to the application of the Pyramid Crossgates Company to the New York State DEC and DOT for permits to build the Crossgates Regional Shopping Mall in the Albany Pine Bush.
5.33 cubic ft. (about 5.33 boxes)
The Delmar Progress Club Records document the day-to-day operations and communitiy activities of this Bethlehem-N.Y. based organization founded in 1901.
20.5 cubic ft. (about 20.5 boxes)
The Henry M. Madej papers contain documents pertaining to his work with the Albany City Charter Revision Commission, the Pine Hills Neighborhood Association, and the Albany Tricentennial Commission. The documents in this collection include professional correspondence, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, agendas, document drafts, press releases, newsletters, pamphlets, memorabilia, magazines, invitations, schedules, event plans, and handwritten notes as well other materials that document his involvement with the city of Albany, New York and the University at Albany community.
2.93 cubic ft. (about 2.93 boxes)
This collection contains material related to the social and political activism of Martin Manley, a longtime Schenectady, New York resident.
15.75 cubic ft. (about 15.75 boxes)
Tenants and Neighbors is a statewide coalition of New York's tenants and tenant associations that fight for tenants' rights and affordable housing for all people. The origins of Tenants and Neighbors dates to a meeting of tenant and housing activists from across the state in August 1972 at St. Rose College in Albany, N.Y. By December 1974, a formal organization was developed by housing and tenant activists across the state that drew up by-laws and created the original name as the New York Tenants Coalition. The first statewide membership meeting was held in February 1975. In 1995, the organization changed its name to New York State Tenants and Neighbors. The collection includes: minutes, annual reports, newsletter and other publications, legislative and organizational memoranda, press releases, clippings, video and press coverage.
29.9 cubic ft. (about 29.9 boxes)
The Joseph L. Norton Papers include notes, correspondence, memoranda, newsletters, publications, and other materials documenting Norton's work as a SUNY Albany professor, a counselor, a teacher, and an activist in the gay community.
14 cubic ft. (about 14 boxes)
Records of association dedicated to the protection, appreciation, and enhancement of natural resources in and around Otsego County. The group is concerned about numerous issues including the preservation of the Otsego Lake watershed, solid waste management, land-use planning, and water quality.
6.4 cubic ft. (about 6.4 boxes)
The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded by Miss Mary M. Shaw in 1898 as a woman's literary and social club. According to the Club's earliest Constitution, "Its object shall be the study of history, literature and art and the literary and social entertainment of its members."
2.5 cubic ft. (about 2.5 boxes)
Subject files largely consisting of retained records of local organizations dedicated to preserving Albany, New York historic neighborhoods and architecture as well as the Pine Bush.
7.0 cubic ft. (about 7.0 boxes)
The Center was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York.
4.3 cubic ft. (about 4.3 boxes)
Documents major projects the society undertook to protect water resources, including the Wilmorite project, the Bonded Concrete project, and the water supply applications of the city of Schenectady and the town of Rotterdam.
12.46 cubic ft. (about 12.46 boxes)
The United Tenants of Albany is an association dedicated to improving housing situations for Albany's low to moderate income families and businesses with safe, affordable living and working space.
3.12 cubic ft. (about 3.12 boxes)
Since its establishment in 1966 as the Urban League of the Albany N.Y. Area, the Urban League of Northeastern New York has campaigned for voter registration, housing, education, social services and other issues of concern to African Americans and others in the New York State Capital District.
8.5 cubic ft. (about 8.5 boxes)
The Grant Van Patten Papers contain a news conference, news clippings, and a script relating to Van Patten's documentary <emph render="italic">The South Mall in Albany: Hoax or Hope?</emph>
0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)
This collection details the social activism of Malcolm Willison in New York State's Capital Region. As an active board member of several local groups, his papers contain minutes, financial statements and budgets, programming ideas, brochures, planning notes, articles and reports, and clippings that detail the evolution of the various organizations contained in the collection. Organizational newsletters and event flyers, course and conference information planned by Willison in his capacity on executive boards, and vast amounts of correspondence about any number of events and issues are also part of the scope of the collection.
14.9 cubic ft. (about 14.9 boxes)
The John Wolcott Papers document the revival of the historic Pinxter Festival in Albany, New York between 1972-1992.
0.7 cubic ft. (about 0.7 boxes)
The Woman's Club of Albany Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
23.64 cubic ft. (about 23.64 boxes)
The Women’s Building collection records the formation and day-to-day administrative and programming activities of the Women’s Building and its predecessor, the Tri-City Women’s Center. The organization provided a safe space for community groups to meet and organize, and informational and educational programming to support the women of the Capital District. Inspired by a feminist perspective and driven by a commitment to social justice, the Women’s Building provided physical meeting and office space to local organizations and programming and informational services on financial planning, legal issues, parenthood, childbirth, and women’s health. The collection includes administrative records and programming material from the organization’s inception in the early 1970s until 2000.
20.3 cubic ft. (about 20.3 boxes)
The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.
20.21 cubic ft. (about 20.21 boxes)
This collection documents the day-to-day activities of the Zonta Club of Albany, a service organization in the Captial Region of New York, comprised of executives, professionals, and businesswomen.
18.0 cubic ft. (about 18.0 boxes)