Newspaper Guild of Albany, N.Y., Local 34 Records, 1936-1989
- Newspaper Guild of Albany, N.Y.
- Chartered in 1934, as the Tri-City Newspaper Guild of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, the Guild signed its first contract with the Albany Times Union in 1937. The Albany Guild's last strike in 1964 formed the basis for The Ink Truck, the first published novel of William Kennedy, who was one of the strikers.
- 5.25 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Newspaper Guild of Albany, Local 34 Records, 1936-1989. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Newspaper Guild of Albany Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The Department of Special Collections and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
Contains executive board and membership minutes, 1936-87; unit minutes, 1942-87; bulletins, 1936-84; contracts, 1937-89; and organizing and litigation files, 1935-88.
- Biographical / Historical:
The Newspaper Guild of Albany, N.Y., Local 34 was chartered on March 20, 1934, as the Tri-City Newspaper Guild of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, N.Y. as well as nearby cities. In 1937, the guild won its first agreement and the first Newspaper Guild agreement in upstate New York when it signed a contract with the Albany Times Union. The Albany Guild's last strike in 1964 formed the basis for The Ink Truck, the first published novel of William Kennedy, who was one of the strikers. The local began as a union of reporters and editors, but over the years other newspaper occupations have been organized as the guild has subsumed independent unions. Currently, janitors and drivers, as well as employees from the business office and sales and circulation departments are represented by the guild. Although the guild has confined most of its activities to the tri-cities, it has opened offices in Hudson and Glens Falls, New York.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this manuscript group were loaned to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, by the Newspaper Guild of Albany, Local 34 and subsequently preservation photocopied as a part of the Harry Van Arsdale, Jr., Labor History Project. The originals have been returned to Local 34.
The collection is organized into 6 topical file series.
- Processing information:
Processed in 1990 by Geoffrey Huth .
- Newspaper employees -- Labor unions -- New York (State).
Journalists -- Labor unions -- New York (State).
Newspaper publishing -- New York (State) -- Albany.
Labor unions -- New York (State) -- Albany.
Labor unions -- New York (State) -- Glens Falls.
Labor unions -- New York (State) -- Hudson.
Albany, New York
Schenectady, New York
Rensselaer County, New York
- American Newspaper Guild.
Independent Committee of the Albany Times Union.
Newspaper Guild of Albany, N.Y.
Kennedy, William, 1928- Ink truck.