American Association of Retired Persons, Schenectady County Chapter, #490, 1967-2003
- American Association of Retired Persons. Schenectady County Chapter 490
- This collection contains the American Association of Retired Persons, Schenectady County Chapter, #490's official newsletters, treasurer's reports, correspondence, various national and local publications, newspaper clippings, certificates, and the chapter banner.
- 2.5 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, box, folder, American Association of Retired Persons, Schenectady County Chapter #490, 1967-2003. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the American Association of Retired Persons Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
- Scope and Content:
The AARP Schenectady County Chapter, #490 held monthly executive board meetings, and monthly general membership meetings. This is reflected in the records. The Schenectady County Chapter encouraged members to write to government representitvies voicing their opinion on health care, as well as donating to local charities and attending events at Proctors in Schenectady. The chapter also published a bimonthly newsletter, The Reporter, to keep members up-to-date on chapter activites and advertise the chapter's outings. Throughout the collection is material on Medicare and access to prescription drugs.
The archivist preserved the original order of this collection. However, multiple members of this chapter compiled the collection of materials throughtout the chapter's lifetime and the influence of multiple records creators/keepers is evident. While the collection is in chronological order, the year spans are in multiple folders and duplicate materials may be found in mulitple folders. Files titled, "meeting minutes" may also include The Reporter, treasureer's reports, newspaper clippings, list of members, AARP national publications, and other community publications.
- Biographical / Historical:
The American Association for Retired Persons (AARP), Schenectady County Chapter #490, was established on April 4, 1968 and disbanded in 2004. The chapter published a newsletter, The Reporter, to update and inform members of upcoming events and New York legislation. One particularly active member of this chapter was Helen Quirini, whose collection of papers is also held at this repository and who served as chapter president. Most presidents and other members of the executive board held those positions for a two-year term.
- Acquisition information:
Ronald Alheim donated the records to the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives in 2004.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2017 by Renae Rapp.