President's Committee to Review Promotion and Continuing Appointment Policies and Procedures Records, 1971-1974
- State University of New York at Albany. Committee to Review Promotion and Continuing Appointment Policies and Procedures
- Contains committee records pertaining to the revision of faculty tenure policies and procedures during the 1973-1974 academic year.
- 0.83 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, President's Committee to Review Promotion and Continuing Appointment Policies and Procedures Records 1971-1974. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Committee to Review Promotion and Continuing Appointment Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collection and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
The contents of this collection relate to the review of the Universityâ€™s standardized policies for granting tenure and promotions to faculty members. Contents include: committee meeting minutes, the final committee report, memoranda to and from committee members, proposed faculty evaluation forms, news clippings relating to faculty tenure, and correspondence between committee members and other universities relating to the tenure policies in place at those universities, along with faculty handbooks from these universities.
- Biographical / Historical:
The President's Committee to Review Promotion and Continuing Appointment Policies and Procedures Records was formed in May 1973 to create campus-wide policies relating to how faculty members were granted promotions and tenure. In the wake of UAlbany's expansion in the 1970s tenure had become a contentious topic and creating standards for assigning tenure was deemed prudent. Following discussion between student and faculty committee members along with correspondence with other universities, the committee's findings were presented to the University President in February of 1974.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2018 by Miles Lawlor.