Department of Women's Studies Collection, 1972-2000
- State University of New York at Albany. Department of Women's Studies
- This collection contains materials relating to the founding and administration of the Women's Studies Program, including course descriptions, meeting records, and ephemera.
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Department of Women's Studies, 1972-2000. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Department of Women's Studies).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is restricted because it is unprocessed. Portions of the collection may contain recent administrative records and/or personally identifiable information. Please contact an archivist for more information.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites. Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
Materials in this collection include: course descriptions, course announcements, planning documents, event fliers, documents from the Women's Studies Advisory Committee, and correspondence.
- Biographical / Historical:
Women's studies at the University began in the fall of 1971 with a course on women in modern literature offered through the College of General Studies. In the Fall of 1972, the Albany chapter of the Caucus for Women's Rights of the State University of New York formed to develop a women's studies program. In the Spring of 1973, women's studies became an officially approved minor, and a part-time director of women's studies was appointed. A Women's Studies B.A. was first offered in 1989. The department is now known as the Department of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and it offers a B.A., an M.A., a certificate in Women and Public Policy, and a joint M.A./Sociology Ph.D.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
- Processing information:
- UAlbany Academic Departments