Department of History Records, 1943-2018
- Department of History, University at Albany, SUNY
- The Department of History Records contains documents related to the Bachelor of Arts degree, a Doctor of Philosophy degree, a Masters of Arts Degree, and a Certificate of Advanced Study in Public History. Documents also relate to the changing thematic and geographic focus of various degree tracks.
- 6 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Department of History Records, ca. 1943-2001. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Department of History Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Faculty meeting minutes are restricted due to the presence of personnel information and access must be permitted by the University Archivist and the Department of History. The other portions of the collection are open for use.
The materials in this collection that were created by "Department of History, University at Albany, SUNY" are licenced under a Creative Commons Public Domain Mark 1.0 License.
This does not include materials collected or gathered by "Department of History, University at Albany, SUNY", whose copyright is most likely retained by the original creator.Please Contact Us for questions or additional rights.
- Scope and Content:
The Department of History Records is roughly dated from 1943 to 2001. Items include correspondence, memorandums, and meeting minutes related to the administrative operations of the History Department. Items also include course descriptions, resource directories, and programs of various events. Interdepartmental programs with Library Science, Social Studies, and Liberal Arts are also documented. This collection also contains a Nobel Prize Nomination that was developed by a faculty member of the History Department.
- Biographical / Historical:
This collection contains material that relates to the establishment and/or retrenchment of the PhD Program, various social studies degrees and the Public History Program. The Doctoral Program in History was established in 1965 with the rapid expansion of the school into a research university, but was de-certified in 1975 in the wake of widespread cuts. The program was reintroduced in 1992.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this manuscript group were donated to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
- Processing information:
Existing collection arraged by Ben Covell in 2015. Additional accession processed by Gregory Wiedeman in 2019.