School of Education Records, 1927-1988
- State University of New York at Albany. School of Education
- The School of Education has its origins as the academic unit of the State Normal School in 1844. It remained a core part of the curriculum of the State College for Teachers (1914-1959) and continued after the 1960s as an academic school within a large public research university.
- 9.34 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, School of Education Records, 1927-1988. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as [shortened name]).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to student material in Box 1 and Box 2 of Series 3 is restricted. Series 1 and Series 2 are unrestricted. Consult a staff member for details.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
- Scope and Content:
This collection documents the organization, evolution, scope, thinking, activities and programs of the School of Education over a period of about seven decades. The earliest items date from about 1927, but continuous records start about 1960 and continue through 1988 with the largest portion of the records from the 1960s-1980s. There are no records in this collection that date from the founding of the School of Education or from the early years of its operation.
Topics which are extensively documented in this collection include adult basic education, Albany Public Schools, Argentine Nationals Program, the Bennington Project, counseling centers, the Doctor of Arts Program, the Doctor of Education Program, educational research training, educational television, education of the disadvantaged, the Experimental College, the Milne School, the National Defense Education Act, the Peace Corps training program in India, the Regional Education Laboratory, special education, summer institutes, Teaching English as a Second Language, the Two-Year College Consortium, and workshops.
- Biographical / Historical:
The School of Education at the State University of New York at Albany was created by an act of the New York State Legislature on May 7, 1844, as the Albany Normal School and modeled on l'Ecole Normale SupÃ©rieure in France. Its mission was to educate and train school teachers in the science of education and the art of teaching so that they might take up positions in the schools of both New York State and the rest of the United States. The Albany Normal School opened its doors on December 18, 1844, and started preparing teachers for the state's secondary schools. It offered a two-year teacher preparatory program. The Albany Normal School was the first normal school in the State of New York and the third in the United States. Its first year of funding included a $9,600 subsidy from the state's Literature Fund and the promise of $10,000 annually for the first five years. The Albany Normal School's first class had 29 students.
In 1905, the mission of the School of Education was expanded to preparing not only secondary school teachers, but also normal school ones. In 1906, graduate study commenced with the introduction of a one-year curriculum of post-baccalaureate study that led to a degree of Bachelor of Pedagogy. The school's two-year program was offered for the last time in 1908. In 1913, master's degree programs were added. In 1960, a doctoral degree in Educational Administration was added to the professional education courses as well as a program leading to a doctorate of philosophy. As the School of Education at the State University of New York at Albany grew, its mission grew in scope to include not only the education of classroom teachers, but also of the leaders who have shaped the nature of learning in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Since 1962, the School of Education has grown in size and scope. Its current mission is to foster enhanced learning and human development as well as to advance knowledge concerning the full spectrum of challenges in learning development, behavior, and adaptation. In order to achieve this, the School of Education offers many different academic programs taught by a large and diverse faculty. Currently, the school has four departments: Educational Administration Policy, Educational and Counseling Psychology, Educational Theory and Practice, and Reading. As of 2006, the School of Education had approximately 1400 graduate students, 1400 undergraduate students, 500 undergraduate minors, 95 part-time faculty, 65 full-time faculty, 30 master and Certificate for Advanced Studies programs, 6 doctoral programs, and two online programs.
Deans 1845-1849 David P. Page 1849-1852 George R. Perkins 1852-1857 Samuel B. Woolworth 1857-1865 David H. Cochran 1865-1867 Oliver C. Arey 1867 Samuel B. Woolworth 1867-1883 Joseph Alden 1883-1890 Edward P. Waterbury 1890-1906 William J. Milne 1906-1913 William J. Aspinwall 1913-1916 Leonard A. Blue 1916-1918 none 1918-1924 Harlan H. Horner 1924-1934 William H. Metzler 1934-1941 Milton G. Nelson 1941-1943 John M. Sayles 1943-1949 Robert W. Frederick 1949-1950 Robert W. Frederick/Milton C. Olson 1950-1951 Milton C. Olson /James A. Hicks 1951-1954 Milton C. Olson/Don A. Orton 1954-1959 Milton C. Olson/Edwin P. Adkins 1959-1960 Milton C. Olson/Edwin P. Adkins/John R. Tibbetts 1960-1962 Milton C. Olson/Edwin P. Adkins 1962-1963 Milton C. Olson/Edwin P. Adkins/Irving A. Vershoor 1963-1974 Randolph S. Gardiner 1974-1979 Gilbert D. Moore 1979-1992 Robert H. Koff 1992-2000 James T. Fleming 2000-2002 Ralph W. Harbison 2002-present Susan D. Phillips
- Acquisition information:
All items in this manuscript group were donated to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, in June 1988.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2006 February by Tim Bridgman (February 2006), Box and Folder List Assistance by Kiki Lin.