Phi Delta Sorority Records, 1923-2004, Undated
- Phi Delta
- The Phi Delta Sorority Records contain documents related to the history, activities and alumnae of the Phi Delta Sorority at the University at Albany.
- 3.64 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Phi Delta Sorority Records, 1923-2004. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Phi Delta Sorority Records).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
- Scope and Content:
This collection contains administrative and subject files such as constitutions, meeting minutes, and membership lists; scrapbooks documenting the sorority's members and activities; and memorabilia such as official sorority stamps and jewelry. Administrative files of the Alumnae Association are also included in the collection.
- Biographical / Historical:
The sorority known as Phi Delta was officially organized as an on-campus club for women called Alpha Delta Omicron in April of 1923. The club was first recognized by the New York State College for Teachers (now the University at Albany) President, A.R. Brubacher, on November 11, 1924. Phi Delta adopted its present name in 1926 with the hopes of becoming a national women's organization. Those dreams did come true for the members of State College's Alpha chapter in February of 1927 when Phi Delta officially became a national sorority with a total of five chapters nationwide.
Phi Delta was founded as a social sorority for Protestant women. Phi Delta also had the distinction of being the first Protestant national sorority at State College. Exactly how long the sorority had a restrictive membership is unclear. Records show that by the early 1960s membership was open to both African-American and Jewish students.
The local sorority is believed to have dissolved sometime in 1972 or 1973, around the same time many other local sororities met the same fate. The Phi Delta Alumnae Association's $7,000 gift to the SUNY Albany Foundation in 1974 came with the stipulation that, if there was ever another active chapter of Phi Delta on campus, $5,000 would be made available to them. There was some interest among alumnae in reinstating an active chapter at Albany in the late 1980s and early 1990s--around the time the Chi Sigma Theta sorority launched a new active chapter on campus--but those plans never came to fruition. The Alumnae Association continued to be active, sending out newsletters and hosting get-togethers during University at Albany Homecoming and Reunion until at least the early 2000s.
- Acquisition information:
These records were transferred to the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives by Annette Gardiner DeLyser, Class of 1949, President of the Phi Delta Alumnae Association.
The collection is organized into the following series:
Series 1 is arranged alphabetically. Series 2 is arranged chronologically.
- Processing information:
Processed in 1992 by Shawne Rosenberg and Sherry Schneiderman.
- Greek letter societies--New York (State)--Albany
Initiations (into trades, societies, etc.)
Women--New York (State)--Albany--Societies and clubs
UAlbany Student Groups
Minutes (administrative records)
- State University of New York at Albany
Phi Delta Sorority