Anna E. Pierce Papers, 1884-1983
- Namesake of Pierce Hall, she served as Dean of Women from 1913-1933, supported the construction of dorms for women and aided the institutionalization of in loco parentis.
- 0.5 cubic ft. and 2 Digital Files
- English .
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: and Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Anna E. Pierce Papers, 1884-1983. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Anna E. Pierce Papers).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
This collection is unrestricted
- Scope and Content:
Her papers include her autobiography/memoir, correspondence, lecture notes, publications, clippings, a sound recording, and a diary relating to her studies at the New York State Normal School at Albany and her appointment as a teacher, to her service as an officer in the Alumni Association, and especially to her campaign to provide campus housing for women. Also included are the texts of lectures given by Pierce on the importance of spiritual training for youth.
- Biographical / Historical:
Anna Eloise Pierce was born on September 18, 1866 to Edmund Pierce and Susan H. Sloan, both of Worcester, NY. She was the second of three children living on a 40-acre farm. She graduated from Albany High School in 1881 and began teaching at the age of 15. On June 26, 1884, Pierce graduated from the NYS Normal School in Albany. With the help of her cousin, Dr. Andrew S. Draper (Superintendent of Schools), Pierce received an appointment as a relief teacher and secretary to President Waterbury. After a year and a quarter as the Preceptress of the Lisle Academy in Lisle, NY, Anna Pierce began a lifelong professional association with the New York State Normal School.
Anna Pierce began her career at the Normal School on July 23, 1886, when President Brubacher hired her as a secretary and substitute. One year later, she was appointed as Member of the Faculty (September 19, 1887), teaching mathematics from 1882-1892. She remained in that post until September of 1891 when she became Principal of the Primary Department of the Model School of the newly renamed New York State Normal College. She eventually became the Dean of Women at the Normal School from 1913-1933, and was affectionately known as "Dean Annie." As dean, Anna Pierce, was perhaps best remembered for her support of the construction of dorms for women, and for the institutionalization ofin loco parentis as it referred to women students.
In the 1920s, Pierce and John Sayles encouraged the alumni, friends of the college and the student body to raise funds to build dormitories. Throughout the 1920s, Pierce corresponded with Abby Rockefeller, wife of John D. Rockefeller, Jr. for information about her study of housing conditions for young women in industry. As Dean of Women, Pierce wished "to improve housing conditions for the women students in State College.It is a fact that in nearly all such institutions the women are inadequately housed in approved private homes, in sorority and other student-managed houses, or in boarding halls under private management all of which facilities fail in many particulars to give the influence and training that we ought to provide for these young women so soon to be sent out as leaders." By 1935, Pierce Hall was opened. At the same time, Sayles Hall was under construction' realizing one of Pierce's long-term goals for the College. For Pierce, long-range housing was to instill a higher-level of sensibilities in the students. In 1920, President Brubacher awarded Pierce with an honorary degree of Master of Pedagogy from the New York State College for Teachers.
In 1928 she authored Deans and Advisors of Women and Girls, where she outlined some of the main responsibilities of college personnel who deal closely with female students. For example, she expressed the need for religious and moral training, appropriate dress and personal appearance, and proper behavior at social activities. These philosophies were also outlined in the College's student handbooks, penned primarily by Pierce and outlining the rules for chaperonage, dress, etc. Around the same time, Pierce developed an interest in the health of students. In 1925, while Chairman of the Health Committee of the National Association of deans of Women, she directed a survey of the student health service in the United States. In 1927, she prepared a catalog of Student Health Literature.
In 1941 Pierce Hall on Alumni Quad, originally called the Alumni Residence Hall was renamed for Dean Anna Pierce. She continued to serve the school even after her retirement as dean, becoming active in the College's Alumni Association, which controlled campus residence halls, president of the Half Century Club of the Alumni Association, and active member of the Benevolent Association. She died at age 91 on November 6, 1956.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives. Box 2 was donated by the University Alumni Association.
This collection has no series.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2016 by Rosann Santos and Geoff Williams.