General Reference Collection, 1828-2015
- A reference collection created by archivists that includes clippings, copies of official records, publications that document the University, students, alumni, and members of the faculty.
- 33 cubic ft.
- English and English
- Preferred citation:
- Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, General Reference Collection, 1844-2015. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the General Reference Collection).
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collection and Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
- Scope and Content:
Contains class schedules, press releases on employee publications, fact sheets, promotional brochures, fliers, public notices, class schedules, departmental reports, club reports and a variety of other items that have not been included into more specific collections.
- Biographical / Historical:
The M. E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives originates in the early 1971 with the establishment of the University Archives. The department was needed to manage the growing volume of public records created by the university after it had evolved into a major research university the previous decade.
In 1976 the department's first major outside collecting area was established with the tranfer of the German and Jewish Intellectual Émigré Collections from the New School with the help of Professor John M. Spalek. In 1982 the department started collecting materials on New York State politics and public policy, which became its largest area of focus. In 1996 the department was dedicated to former Profesor of English, M.E. Grenander. In 1999 the department moved to the specially-designed 3rd floor of the Science Library, and also began a joint effort with the Department of Criminal Justice to estblish the National Death Penalty Archive.
The principal purpose of the department is to collect, preserve, provide access to, exhibit, and encourage research use of the University Libraries' unique manuscript and archival materials, the official records of the University, rare books, and printed materials.
- Acquisition information:
All items in this collection were transferred, created or discovered by the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives. Generally these items were not part of organic collections or file series, but were deemed useful for researchers.
Collection was ordered alphabetically, and additions were interfiled periodically. The collection is also divided alphabetically by letter for easier viewing and navigation.
- Processing information:
Processed in 2018 by Miles Lawlor.